10/08/2008

16: The Bailout

I had a dream last week that the birth of this kid was somehow tied to the 700 billion dollar government bailout plan. Specifically, that the kid will "drop" (apparently a sign that birth is imminent) once congress approves the plan. Needless to say, I took note when the news broke that the plan was not passed and took note again when it was - not because it may or may not mean the demise of U.S. financial infrastructure (a la Sarah Palin: I have no idea what it means) but because it may be somehow tied to my pregnancy.

I think, however, it is safe to assume that my pregnancy is not tied to the bailout as nothing has happened yet in the baby birthing department. Today (October 8th) is my official due date so I am completely enormous and it is increasingly difficult to stand, sit, walk, lie down or breathe. L has even begun shaving his solidarity beard (in phases) with the hope that it might bring on labor (and reduce the merciless disdain he receives from his friends and colleagues).

That said, I have to be honest about my instinctual, internal response to everyone's assumption that I must be so "ready" to have this baby. Certainly, I look and feel quite prepared to be not pregnant anymore but the alternative likely means that I'll have a baby and I'm positively sure I am not prepared for that. Which is to say, if he needs to stay tucked up under my ribs a little bit longer, I am fine with that for now. Even if is means I look and move like a manatee.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home